Monday, February 23, 2009

Book Report#01/WORKING HOLIDAY IN LONDON by GWEN YIP

Onda: I saw this book at Commercial Press (Book Store) recently, but I lost my interest and put it down after scanned a few pages. Honestly, I do care about the visual impression of a thing which getting into my eyes. (sorry, >< i know it might be bad for me to saying like this "')

This was packaged by my sister(illustration too :] )


































I was really shock when I received this book(and the words said by my sister too - -"'), and i didn't plan to read it, but only when I have time(to hea~).

One night, I have squeezed a few minutes for reading this book after my dinner.

"Oh my God!" when I started the first page, and read the Foreword, oh! You see...it's written by siu hak!! And the Creative Director of CTWCM!!(which Vincie has mention this firm before! The "陳曾黃朱梅" design firm!!) When I keep going to read this book, I found many familiar words which just learned at AD tutorial(i.e. this subject!!), like she has mention the D&AD, DDB London and the example of how's an agency work out a TVC (=CD>ECD>Client>Focus Group>Director>Launch). 

I was planned to put 15 minutes reading at first, but finally, I finished the whole book. :)

Gwen showed me the working process of running a project which is really real for me (or in visually - the 'simple' drawing) which is I NEVER imagine before even Vincie taught in the AD tutorials. Although Gwen's drawing is not my prefer style, it's still attractive. At least I was attracted. I agree with Tsang thatI just cannot imagine these things would happen on this girl. (But i did discovered that she was not start from zero, she have been work in advertising firms for several years) 

So, in short, this book is great for us to know more about this advertising or design industry. (especially the fans of w+k) And the most impressive part in this book which fit our situation is the conversation between Gwen & Michael Russoff@ Wieden + Kennedy. They talked about the feeling of struggle between advertising and personal work. 

Although I'm still a design student, but I do think (i think some of our classmates have this feeling too~) sometime I stuck with how to balance the design style(or concept or outlook) and the demand of target(which means what's audience' needs) too. I want to use my own way(or thought) to present my ideas, but I do need to pay more attention to the needs of target(not 'more', it should be 'nearly all'), coz fitting their needs is our MISSION, as we are appeared to solve the problem(of our client), show off our talent is bonus only :) After learning more and see more and more, I'm starting to get much more understanding to these 'golden rules'.

I'm learning to be a professional, add oil, huh? :P








































































This is the book cover la! :)

2 comments: